I’ve always wanted to make chicken biryani. So when I was flipping through a gluten-free cookbook and saw it, I sprung into action. Rummaged through my pantry and found all the ingredients I need! Lucky me!
I use Pacific foods organic free-range chicken broth which is gluten-free and perfect for this recipe. You can use any chicken broth if you are not planning to make a gf version.
It’s really simple to make if you have all the dry ingredients that are. Although, you can easily purchase all the spices from supermarkets or wet markets. Since it is a one pot, cleaning up is a breeze. Use a ziplock bag to marinate the chicken the night before for maximum flavour. If you love warm spices and deep flavours, you will enjoy this recipe.
One Pot Chicken Briyani
- 500 g boneless & skinless chicken thighs quartered
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp 10g grated garlic
- 1 tbsp 10g grated ginger
- 1 tbsp 15ml lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups 400g basmati rice
- 3 tbsp 45ml ghee
- 1/2 cup 75g shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp 10g ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp 10g garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cup 345ml chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 cup 10g cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup 30g cashew nuts, roasted
- Combine all the ingredients of chicken marinade into a ziplock bag to marinate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Soak basmati rice for 30 minutes, and drain.
- Steep saffron in chicken broth.
- Melt ghee in French oven buffet/braiser over medium heat.
- Add shallots, ginger, and garlic to saute for a minute.
- Then add turmeric, coriander, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, and salt. Saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and marinade into the pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add basmati rice, toss to combine, and pour in chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer, turn off heat, cover, and transfer to oven to cook for 30 minutes.
- Halfway through, give the rice a mix.
- Garnish with cilantro and roasted cashew nuts.