If you love Nando’s Chicken, you are going to love this! If you don’t, you are still going to fall in love with this recipe! It is incredibly easy to make. All you need to do into dump everything into the blender, blend, marinate the chicken, and roast it!
I served it with my Hasselback Potatoes and a side salad. The potatoes were baked together in the oven while the chicken was roasting. How easy was that?! The sauce is optional, but a good idea to have. Adjust the amount of chilli to your tolerance. Remember to use a snug fitting pan for your chicken too.
Here is a video on how to butterfly or spatchcock your chicken: Video from Food Wishes.
Peri Peri Chicken
- 1 kg Whole chicken giblets removed and spatchcocked
- 1-3 chilli padi/birds eye chilli 3 was spicy so adjust to taste, remove rib and seeds to tone down spice level
- 1 red pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- handful of fresh basil
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce optional
- 2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 shallots
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- Splash of water
- 1/4 cup reserved marinade
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Add all the ingredients except chicken (of course!) into a blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade for the sauce.
- Place chicken in a snug fitting pan.
- Pour marinade all over chicken, rub it all over the chicken, the under side as well.
- Cover with cling wrap and marinate for at least an hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Remove cling wrap.
- Bake chicken on middle rack for 40-45 minutes or until internal temperature reads at lead 74C.
- Add the reserved marinade and water in a heavy bottom saucepan over med low heat.
- Stir and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
Serve with sauce, side salad and Hasselback Potatoes.