If you love Nando’s Chicken, you are going to love this! If you don’t, you are still going to fall in love with this recipe! It is incredibly easy to make. All you need to do into dump everything into the blender, blend, marinate the chicken, and roast it!
I served it with my Hasselback Potatoes and a side salad. The potatoes were baked together in the oven while the chicken was roasting. How easy was that?! The sauce is optional, but a good idea to have. Adjust the amount of chilli to your tolerance. Remember to use a snug fitting pan for your chicken too.
Here is a video on how to butterfly or spatchcock your chicken: Video from Food Wishes.
Peri Peri Chicken
- 1 kg Whole chicken giblets removed and spatchcocked
- 1-3 chilli padi/birds eye chilli 3 was spicy so adjust to taste, remove rib and seeds to tone down spice level
- 1 red pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- handful of fresh basil
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce optional
- 2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 shallots
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- Splash of water
- 1/4 cup reserved marinade
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Add all the ingredients except chicken (of course!) into a blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade for the sauce.
- Place chicken in a snug fitting pan.
- Pour marinade all over chicken, rub it all over the chicken, the under side as well.
- Cover with cling wrap and marinate for at least an hour to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Remove cling wrap.
- Bake chicken on middle rack for 40-45 minutes or until internal temperature reads at lead 74C.
- Add the reserved marinade and water in a heavy bottom saucepan over med low heat.
- Stir and bring to simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Set aside until ready to serve.
Omit Worcestershire sauce if eating whole30 or substitute 1/2 tbsp coconut amino + 1/2 tbsp fish sauce.
Serve with sauce, side salad and Hasselback Potatoes.
Zoe3 March, 2015 at 3:14 am
This is really like Nandos! I reckon that your homemade peri peri is way way better than the commercially made ones :p
Jayanthi Sindhiya3 March, 2015 at 6:06 am
Oh my God the chicken looks gorgeous
Lemongrass Roast Chicken with Nam Jin Jaew – Delishar18 July, 2015 at 4:54 am
[…] my first spatchcocked Peri Peri Chicken, I fell in love with preparing or roasting chicken that way. Personally, I felt that the chicken […]
Cheah Sew Yen7 April, 2017 at 1:34 pm
The chicken looks so appertizing and gorgeous the colour looks very nice.
Sharon Lam9 April, 2017 at 9:37 am
Rio18 May, 2017 at 10:31 am
I just finished cooking this right now and O!M!G! it’s delicious! I tasted it right after i take it out from the oven and i can’t stop eating.
Sharon Lam18 May, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Thank you so much for the feedback! I’m glad you enjoyed it. 😀