Back and armed with another zucchini snack recipe! This one is a winner! Soft, moist, decadent but without all that guilt. The kids loved it, and the husband loved it. I had a bite of it and loved the texture, that deep cocoa taste, and that perfect hint of sweetness to balance out the bitterness of the cocoa.
Why just a little bite? To be completely honest, I’m not a big fan of wheat. I suspect that I could be intolerant to it. Hence, my body has never been drawn to food with wheat in it, and the hives that usually occur a few hours after I consume something with wheat in it.
But nonetheless, the husband and kids aren’t showing signs of intolerance. Only signs of intolerance when I don’t bake for them. lol! I’d rather bake for them than have them consume store-bought baked products. At least I know what is going into the baked goods.
For this recipe, I used organic coconut sugar, greek yogurt, coconut oil, free range eggs, whole wheat pastry flour, and loaded it up with shredded zucchini. Threw in some semi-sweet dark chocolate chips and peanut butter chips as a treat. I get some people leaving doubtful comments on fb when I shared my previous recipe. “Zucchini?” Yes, it’s not a new concept. Think carrots in carrot cake, similar idea.
Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup 96g whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup 50g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 1/4 cup reserved for topping
- 1/4 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 230g shredded zucchini, lightly squeezed and drained
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray or brush with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips together.
- In another bowl, mix coconut oil, yogurt, coconut sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until almost mixed through but still lumpy.
- Fold in shredded zucchini until combined.
- Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Top with reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes at 180C or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to cool completely on a wire rack.