I have a recipe that will blow you away. One that will make you fall in love over and over again. One so insanely delicious, it will probably change your life. Fine, the last claim was a little over the top, but you get the point. Yes, this is THE recipe. Here’s the IG Video Highlight if you’d like to see how I made it.
I have difficulties putting into words how successful this dish turned out. Everything was gone within seconds, every single smear of sauce… Poof! Gone! The spices permeated the chicken so deeply as the chicken braised. Searing the chicken to a golden hue gave it an additional layer of texture and flavour that mimics fried chicken. As the chicken braised in the aromatic gravy, the muscles relaxed resulting in a fall-off-the-bone tender chicken leg. And as the sauce reduces slowly, the flavours intensified.
I foresee this recipe is going on my top 10 most loved recipe list. Do yourself a favour and make yourself, your friends, or family this Ayam Masak Merah. Do it soon, I’m pretty certain this will go on your top 10 list too.
Ayam Masak Merah
- 6 whole chicken legs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar / regular sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Cilantro to garnish
- 16 shallots peeled
- 1 inch thumb old ginger peeled
- 1 inch thumb galangal peeled
- 6 cloves garlic peeled
- 8 dried chilli rehydrated & seeded
- 2 lemongrass bottom inner part only
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 lemongrass bruised
- In a food processor, add all the ingredients for paste and blend until you get a paste.
- Sear chicken in a tbsp of oil, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil and fry paste for 5 minutes.
- Add in whole spices and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, water, and bring to boil.
- Season with salt and sugar.
- Return chicken into the pan, cover and simmer on low for 45-60 minutes.
- Checking occasionally to make sure it doesn't dry up.
- If the sauce is still thin, uncover and reduce until you get a paste like consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.