- 250g minced beef
- 1 large zucchini, sliced thinly, I used a mandoline to get about 1/8 inch thickness
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I like Hunt’s)
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella & cheddar cheese mixed, divided
- 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- Salt and pepper to taste
Now blot off the water on the zucchini with a paper towel.
Continue layering until done
When done with layering, sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
Tent with foil, make sure it doesn’t touch the cheese. Bake for 30 mins.
After 30 mins, remove foil. It should look like this.
Bake uncovered for another 20 minutes.
Let it sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it.
Garnish with fresh basil.
I use low fat cottage cheese because it is lower in calories compared to ricotta. Both are equally tasty. 🙂 For a vegetarian option, replace minced beef with mushrooms.