The first time I had General Tso Chicken was during my first visit to my Mother-in-law’s place in USA. When I took my first bite, I fell instantly in love with it! It was my kind of comfort food! The flavour profile was amazing! The gorgeous sauce that coated the deep fried chicken pieces was balance of spicy, sweet, salty, and finished off with a slight tang. I sat at the dining table, breaking down the different flavours exploding in my mouth, thinking to myself that I HAVE to replicate it!
However, I wanted something lighter, something that does not require deep frying but will still give me that lovely crispy texture. If you have been following me, you would have realised that I used cornflakes for some of my dishes (Cornflake Baked Fish, Cornflake Chicken Tenders) and they have turned out really good. So I did the same for this dish, coat it with cornflake, and baked till crisp. Even after tossing it with the sauce, I still gives that bite that deep fried food will have. I’m so happy with the outcome of this dish, and I can’t wait to give make it again!
Lighter General Tso Chicken
- 300 g chicken breast skin removed cut to 1 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg beated
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce or to taste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes*
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce*
- 1/2 cup chicken stock*
- 1-1/2 tbsp rice vinegar*
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce*
- 1 tbsp brown sugar*
- 1-2 tsp honey*
- 1 tbsp corn flour*
- Dash of white pepper*
- 5 dried chilli soaked to soften
- 5 slices ginger
- 1-2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Chopped spring onions
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Prepare a baking sheet lightly greased with cooking spray.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in egg, and coat with crushed cornflakes.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- We are looking for crispy texture & golden brown colour.
- To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients marked * into a bowl.
- Heat pan on med-high with oil.
- Quickly stir-fry garlic, ginger, and dried chilli until fragrant.
- Pour in sauce mixture and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir and allow sauce to thicken then add chicken pieces.
- Toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and garnish with spring onions.
Adapted from allthatsplatters
MonuTeena RecipesPassion10 November, 2014 at 2:16 am
wow sweety i will try it for sure