However, I wanted something lighter, something that does not require deep frying but will still give me that lovely crispy texture. If you have been following me, you would have realised that I used cornflakes for some of my dishes (Cornflake Baked Fish, Cornflake Chicken Tenders) and they have turned out really good. So I did the same for this dish, coat it with cornflake, and baked till crisp. Even after tossing it with the sauce, I still gives that bite that deep fried food will have. I’m so happy with the outcome of this dish, and I can’t wait to give make it again!
Lighter General Tso Chicken
- 300 g chicken breast skin removed cut to 1 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 egg beated
- 1-1/2 cups cornflakes crushed
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce or to taste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes*
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce*
- 1/2 cup chicken stock*
- 1-1/2 tbsp rice vinegar*
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce*
- 1 tbsp brown sugar*
- 1-2 tsp honey*
- 1 tbsp corn flour*
- Dash of white pepper*
- 5 dried chilli soaked to soften
- 5 slices ginger
- 1-2 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Chopped spring onions
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Prepare a baking sheet lightly greased with cooking spray.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in egg, and coat with crushed cornflakes.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- We are looking for crispy texture & golden brown colour.
- To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients marked * into a bowl.
- Heat pan on med-high with oil.
- Quickly stir-fry garlic, ginger, and dried chilli until fragrant.
- Pour in sauce mixture and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir and allow sauce to thicken then add chicken pieces.
- Toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and garnish with spring onions.