I remember growing up and constantly craving for this dish. Each time I walk by a Tze-Char store, or each time my mum asked what I want for dinner, I will order Mui Fan. There’s something about that savoury gravy that nicely coats every grain of rice, making it such a delight to eat!
Every mouthful seems to sooth my throat, almost like hugging me from the inside. LOL! This is a great dish to serve up when someone is feeling under the weather. Plus it’s also very kid friendly! Win-win. The gravy is very versatile, serve it with flat rice noodle and you get Hor Fun. Serve it with crispy egg noodles, and you get Sang Mien. There’s very little prep involved and cooking time took me about 10 mins. Here how I made it.
Mui Fan (Rice with Silky Savoury Gravy)
- 200 g pork tenderloin thinly sliced (chicken/squid/fish/beef if you don't take pork)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp shao xing wine
- 1 tsp corn flour
- Dash of white pepper
- 8-9 prawns shelled and cleaned
- Bunch of chye sim cut into 2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 servings of cooked rice
- Coriander to garnish
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices of ginger
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tsp white sugar I used about 3/4 tsp
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Corn starch slurry 2 tbsp corn flour + 4 tbsp cold water
- Marinate meat with white pepper, wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, and corn flour.
- Marinate prawns with some salt and pepper.
- Heat pan on med high, add oil.
- When pan is hot, add garlic and ginger, saute for 30 seconds.
- Add pork and pan fry.
- Pan fry for a minute, until pork is 3/4 cooked.
- Add prawns and pan fry for 30 seconds.
- Add stock and bring to boil, allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar to taste.
- Add vegetable and stir till it starts to wilt (about 30 seconds)
- Pour in corn starch slurry while stirring constantly, and allow gravy to come to desired consistency.
- Lower heat to low, and stream in beaten egg in circular motion, using your spatula, gently give the gravy a stir in circular movement.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Garnish and serve over rice.