Made this one afternoon for the helper and myself because she bought 3 pieces of firm tofu what was on offer. Nobody else at home consumes soy beancurd except for myself and the helper, so I felt sorry to see it sit sadly in the fridge without a purpose. Don’t get me wrong, I love my tofu and will eat tofu everyday if I can. But unfortunately too much soy is not good for my thyroid condition. Plus, it’s a little lonely eating tofu alone while the whole family neglects it.
Since I don’t get to make much tofu at home, I took the opportunity to whip up something that I know we’ll truly enjoy, and I don’t have to feel guilty or lonely about eating it. I love how the tofu transform from a white block of nothing (that’s what the husband calls it) into this gorgeous golden pillow with soft fluffy interior. What a play of texture!
And the sauce… omg don’t even get me started… that delicious sticky glaze was THE sauce for the pan-fried golden puffs! It was the perfect balance between sweet, salty, tang, and spice! I served it with plain steamed white rice, and may I say that it was one of my most satisfying meals. So simple, but so good. If you are a tofu lover, you are going to love this one. I promise.
Crispy Honey Soy Tofu
- 2 firm / extra firm tofu sliced to 1/4 inch thickness (about 350g)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp white/rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sambal chilli optional or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemongrass ends only and sliced
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- Another 1 tsp oil
- Chopped cilantro and fried shallot to garnish
- Dry tofu with kitchen towel.
- Pan fry over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add 1 tsp oil and saute lemongrass and garlic until it starts to turn golden.
- Pour in dark soy, honey, vinegar, and chilli.
- Give it a stir, and lower heat to simmer.
- Allow sauce to thicken. (sauce will thicken further when cooled)
- Drizzle sauce over golden tofu just before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro and fried shallot.
Sarika Gunjal26 January, 2016 at 9:05 am
This looks so yummy. Nice space. Love Tofu myself, will definitely give it a try. Hope you can come and visit my space.