I normally make my char siew by roasting it in the oven, and basking it several times. However, this time round I needed the oven to roast my Siew Yok (Chinese Roasted Pork Belly). So I tried using my HCP to cook my char siew instead.
I have to say I was very please with the result! It meat was nice and moist, the sauce very nicely caramelized, the char siew was very evenly coated with the yummy sauce, and it gave the meat a little smokey charred flavour too! And the best part was it only took about 30 mins to cook it! If you do not have a HCP, you can use any frying pan/wok. You would probably need a longer cooking time.
- 700 g Pork shoulder butt cut into 1.5 to 2 inch thickness
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp rose wine/hua tiao jiu
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp kicap manis or sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice powder
- 3 tbsp water
- dash of pepper
- few drops of red food colouring optional
- Marinade meat in all the ingredients overnight.
- Heat pan on med-low heat until hot.
- Place meat in pan together with all the sauce.
- Let it cook for 5 mins with lid locked.
- Flip the meat and lock for another 5 mins.
- Turn meat over again and lower the lid but do not lock. Lower heat to low.
- Let the sauce reduce, turning the meat a couple of times during the process to coat the meat.
- Allow the sauce to caramelize and brown a little, or until how you desire.
- Serve with remaining sauce drizzled over sliced char siew or on the side.
Ken Goh30 September, 2013 at 3:23 am
Looks good and it is a seduction to me!
A.r. Potze1 October, 2013 at 8:10 am
that's look tasty to me hi Bert from tastiestrecipes.com
Co5 August, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Hi, I just chanced upon your website and am really keen to try out your recipes tomorrow! Can I ask how long to cook steps 6, 7 & 8 for this HCP char Siu? It looks really delicious. Thank you
Sharon Lam7 August, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Hi Corrine, sorry I missed your message! I really can’t recall how long I cooked it. I’d suggest checking every now and then to gauge how much sauce is left. It took me about 30 minutes to finish cooking, so I’d suppose step 6-8 will be about 20 minutes.