A while ago, I saw a recipe that uses cauliflower instead of arborio rice to make risotto. Not only is it healthier, it is also so much easier to make! No need to stand at the stove to stir and stir, no need to ladle in stock bit by bit, and no need to fuss about getting the rice to the perfect consistency. But you’d still end up with a delicious plate of ‘risotto’ and a low-carb one too!
The only difference is that you will not get that creamy texture of risotto. Not with this recipe because it is vegan and whole30 compliant. I’m sure it can be achieved by subbing stock with heavy cream and grated parmesan cheese. That would make it more of a Keto meal, and a really yummy one too! 🙂
Mushroom & Spinach Cauliflower Risotto
- 1 kg cauliflower processed into rice in food processor
- 200 g Shimeji mushrooms separated
- 200 g white button mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 120 g baby spinach
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Cut cauliflower into florets and process in food processor to get rice like grains.
- Heat pan on medium heat and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Saute onion until translucent.
- Add another 2 tbsp olive oil and saute mushrooms until tender and browned.
- Add garlic, thyme, and season with salt & pepper.
- Cook for 30 seconds.
- Then add the last tbsp of oil together with the cauliflower rice.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add stock and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook until stock is almost absorbed, then add spinach to cook until wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve garnish with fresh thyme.
Michel Frost31 October, 2017 at 1:31 pm
I Love the taste of Mushrooms , So this recipe is perfect for me. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing it!