2 weeks ago, I shared a Browned Butter Salmon on Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta. That was the first time I made this amazing pesto. It goes on anything and everything. It’ll even make furniture taste delicious. But I would not recommend that.
Ever since that day that I introduce it to the family, they could not get enough of it. My girls love it with their pasta, and I like to have it on toast. So I spread it on my toast instead of using butter. Much healthier too!
A little yolk porn to get you motivated to make it soon. 😛 I made this for brunch one weekend morning. Since the husband isn’t a big fan of poached eggs, I usually refrain from making it when he is around for meals. However, he left for work early that day, so it’s food freedom. Yay! That golden lava yolk is so glorious, and it sets my saliva glands going like cray cray. Enough of the yakking, let’s get down to the delicious business.
- Eggs as needed
- 40g fresh basil leaves
- 200g sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (59ml) extra virgin olive oil + a little more if you wish
- 4 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices wholewheat bread, toasted
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced/mashed
- Sun-dried tomato pesto, as needed
- Bring water to a simmer, season with salt, & a splash of vinegar to a simmer, swirl it with a spoon to create Whirlpool. Crack egg into ramekin/bowl. Gently slide room temp egg in the middle, cover, turn off heat, and allow to sit for 4 mins.
- Use a wide pan with higher sides. Bring water to a simmer, season with salt, & a splash of vinegar to a simmer. Crack egg into ramekin/bowl. Gently slide room temp egg into water. Repeat. Egg>ramekin>water. Or you can use multiple ramekin, to hold each egg individually. But more to wash. 😛 Cook each egg for about 4 mins. Check, whites are set but yolk still soft and molten. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towel.
- Place all the ingredients into food processor.
- Process until you get a paste. If too thick, thin it out with a little more olive oil if desired.
- Spread sun-dried tomato pesto on toast, layer with sliced avocado, and top with poached egg.