Whenever we think of steamed egg custard, that silky soft Chawanmushi comes to mind. It’s a dish so well-loved by the young and old. The versatility of the dish allows you to add whatever ingredients to the custard before and after steaming.
Traditionally, mushrooms, shrimp, and/or fishcake are added to the custard mixture before steaming. My grandpa used to add marinated minced meat to the bottom of the bowl before topping with the egg custard mixture. This recipe tops the nutty sesame sauce minced meat on the silky soft steamed egg custard after it’s steamed.
After trying a few of Mizkan‘s sesame sauce, I have to say the Sesame Sauce with Roasted Nuts is my favourite. It’s creamy, nutty, with just the right amount of savoury and sweetness. The minced meat topping itself is good enough to be a dish on its own. I would even serve it on top of shirataki or rice noodles and let the delicious sauce dress the noodles.
This recipe was originally created by Chef Catherina Hosoi of Culinary Hobby Class for Mizkan. I adapted from Chef Hosoi’s recipe and made a few modifications to achieve the taste, texture and consistency of the Chawanmushi to suit my family’s preference. If you are interested in cooking with Mizkan’s products, do check out her page as she periodically conducts cooking classes in collaboration with Mizkan.
Check out my other recipes using Mizkan’s products:
- Sesame Fried Chicken Wings
- Goma Tonyu Nabe (芝麻豆漿火鍋)
- Pen Cai (盆菜)
- Spicy Sesame Noodles
- Poached Salmon Soba
Goma Dare Jumbo Chawanmushi
- 4 large eggs
- 350 ml dashi stock or chicken stock
- 250 g minced pork
- 1/2 cup Mizkan Sesame Sauce with Roasted Nuts
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp goji berries rehydrated in hot water
- Dash of white pepper
- Chopped spring onions to garnish
- Whisk eggs and dashi stock together.
- Sieve through a fine-mesh sieve to get rid of bubbles and lumps. This step is crucial to get a smooth custard.
- Transfer into heat-proof bowl, and scoop out any bubbles.
- Wrap with cling wrap.
- Bring steamer to boil, then reduce to medium heat, and steam egg custard for 20 minutes.
Goma Dare Meat Topping
- Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat and fry garlic until turning golden and crisp.
- Remove half of the garlic chips for garnishing.
- Add minced meat and cook until almost cooked through.
- Pour in Mizkan Sesame Sauce with Roasted Nuts and cook until pork is fully cooked.
- When custard is set, remove cling wrap and gently scoop meat mixture over custard. The set egg custard should be smooth, jiggly and pillowy soft, so be gentle. Top with goji berries, garlic chips, and chopped spring onions.
This post is in collaboration with Mizkan Asia. However, all opinions are of my own.