I’ve always been pretty curious about mug cakes. Especially when everything is made in the microwave, within such a short period of time. So I finally tried making one, which came in pretty conveniently when I was craving for some warm chocolate dessert. The end result turned out pretty good for the time and effort that was spent making it.
I made it in a mug, and then my ramekins for that more authentic chocolate lava cake feel. This recipe will work in those regular size mugs that you have at home for coffee or tea. So you don’t have to buy special mugs or ramekins to enjoy these mug cake. One thing to note, this is a microwave recipe. So if you are thinking of baking it because you don’t have a microwave, then use a traditional chocolate lava cake recipe. I’ll share one in due time.
To be honest, this cake wasn’t as good as the molten chocolate cake that’s oven baked. But it was definitely good enough for a darn quick chocolate fix. My only advise is to use chocolate that you’d enjoy. I used hershey’s for this recipe, only because that was that I had in my pantry. But if I had valrhona, I would use those babies. It’s important to pack your chocolate squares together in the middle to get that lava effect. The chocolate squares will melt as the cake batter sets.
This dessert is best served warm, but be careful of the melted chocolate in the middle. It may still be pretty hot. Enjoy this recipe, and if you’d like to see more mug cake recipes, do drop me a comment or note to let me know. 🙂
First, place the chocolate chips and milk into your mug. Then heat it on high in your microwave for 40 seconds until chocolate melts.
Use a fork or whisk to stir until the milk and chocolate chips are well combined.
Add the baking powder, flour, and oil. Then mix until batter is combined.
Place your chocolate squares into the middle of the batter. Pushing it down gently until almost covered with batter.
Then pour in 1 tsp of water on top of the chocolate squares. And microwave on high for 1 minute. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve with ice-cream and fresh strawberries.
- 1/4 cup (45g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp (45ml) fresh milk
- 2 tbsp (15g) plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp (7.5ml) canola oil
- 4 squares (14-16g) of chocolate
- 1 tsp water
- First, place the chocolate chips and milk into your mug.
- Then heat it on high in your microwave for 40 seconds until chocolate melts.
- Use a fork or whisk to stir until the milk and chocolate chips are well combined.
- Add the baking powder, flour, and oil.
- Then mix until batter is combined.
- Place your chocolate squares into the middle of the batter, pushing it down gently until almost covered with batter.
- Then pour in 1 tsp of water on top of the chocolate squares.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve with ice-cream and fresh strawberries.
- If the batter is still not set after 1 minute, do a blast of 10 seconds increment. This recipe is for 1 only. To increase serving, you can either multiple ingredients, prepare it in a bowl then divide the batter to individual mugs and cook indivdually, or mix batter in each mug individually. Do not heat all the cups in the microwave at once or it will be unevenly cooked.
Get the pre portioned cook kit for this amazing dish and
cook it in your own kitchen! Order Now