The one prominent dish on the table of every Cantonese’s family gathering. Be it a birthday dinner, Chinese new year, wedding dinner, or even just for a regular weekend dinner, this will be served. It is almost, the host’s way of showing love, for letting you know that your presence is treasured.
Although the dish is quick to make, it does take a little more effort to prepare the garnishes. However, when the hot oil hits the aromatics, magic happens. Your 5 senses are instantaneously awakened. Hear that sizzle, watch the herbs wilt ever so slightly, smell the fragrance released as the hot steam escape, and notice your mouth water.
Watch the magic happen on my IG story. Here’s the link to this recipe on IG highlights. Alternatively, you can go to my Instagram to browse the cooking highlights. Have fun cooking!
Cantonese Steamed Fish
- 1 600-700g Whole seabass cleaned
- 5 slices Old ginger
- 2 Spring onions cleaned
- 3 tbsp Neutral cooking oil (not olive oil)
- 4 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 1/2 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 tsp Sugar
- Dash of White pepper
- 4 tbsp Hot Water
- 6 sprigs Coriander leaves
- 1-2 tsp Fried shallot
- 1 pcs Red chilli seeded and julienned (optional)
- 1 Spring onion thinly julienned
- Make sure the fish is cleaned and scales removed. Rub salt all over fish and rinse with water. This helps to reduce fishy smell.
- Place the 2 spring onion on the heatproof plate and rest the fish on top. Place a few slices of ginger into the cavity of the fish.
- Bring steamer to boil on high. Steam fish for 8 minutes. Check with a butter knife or fork. Fish should flake easily and is opaque, if not let it steam for another 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully drain off the liquid collected on the plate from steaming.
- Garnish top of the fish with julienned ginger
- Top the fish with chilli, coriander, and spring onions.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil till it starts to smoke and immediately remove from heat.
- Drizzle hot oil over coriander and spring onions. Then finish with fried shallots.
- Pour prepared sauce over fish.
- Add everything into a bowl and mix well.