Fried rice is my best friend when I’m fighting for time, and have plently of leftover rice laying around in my fridge. It is such a great meal on it’s own to use up whatever leftovers there are in the fridge! Add some chicken cubes to this recipe for some protein, and it’s good to go as a complete meal on it’s own.
I served this super simple 15 minutes dish with Korean Fire Chicken with Cheese that I shared last week. I love the slight tangy-ness from the pickled kimchi, and the lovely spices definitely helped kick this fried rice up a notch, or even two notches! Even the husband who is not a big fan of Korean food helped himself to his second serving that evening. If you are one who love your food with some kick to it, you will definitely enjoy this one. 🙂
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 cup kimchi chopped
- 1/2 cup kimchi juice
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp gochujang Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 sunny side up eggs
- Chopped spring onions
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Finely chop up kimchi and squeeze to get juice.
- Reserve juice for later.
- In a bowl, mix gochujang, kimchi juice, grated ginger, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Heat pan on medium high, add sesame and vegetable oil.
- Saute onion until soft, and add garlic to stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Add Kimchi into pan, and stir fry for a minute.
- Then add rice to the pan breaking it up with your spatula.
- Pour in kimchi juice mixture, and toss to coat evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed, and remove from heat.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions, and toss to combine.
- Serve with sunny side up egg, chopped spring onions, and sesame seeds.