When the weekend rolls in, I used to be a little conflicted with wanting to stock up my fridge with fresh ingredients and using up whatever is left in my fridge. I can be quite challenging at times especially when there are changes in plans which can result in a fridge with more or fewer scraps and pieces of produce to work with.
Slowly, I grew to like ‘clear out weekends’. It allowed me to think on my feet and be creative with leftovers in my fridge. The purge and emptied fridge make the stocking up experience all the more enjoyable. Oh, the little things in life that make me so happy.
While I was digging through my fridge over a weekend, a popular video recipe that I saw on FB immediately came to mind. Inspired by that, I made my version of Shrimp and Sausage Cajun Skillet. This recipe is extremely easy to put together, takes no time at all to cook, and works well with whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Swap out the sausages for chicken, I’m sure it’ll turn out great too!
- 10 large shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 compliant sausages, sliced
- 1 medium sized zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/4 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Lemon slices
- Parsley, chopped to garnish
- In a bowl add the shrimp, and toss with 1 tsp of cajun seasonsing.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high.
- Cook zucchini, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion, peppers, and sausages to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add garlic, shrimp, zucchini, and seasonings.
- Cook until shrimp is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, spritz in a little lemon juice and toss.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.