There is something comforting about soup, and more so when there’s noodles swimming inside the glorious broth. Not other is it easy to make, it’s easy to consume as well. I always think that slurping down the last drop of soup in the bowl is always a fun way to end a meal. Probably I get to put my face so close to the bowl, it’s literally in it. There isn’t much opportunities that calls for that.
The husband who is NOT at all a mushroom fan took every last bite from the bowl. Maybe he was just being nice. LOL. The little girls asked if it’s mushrooms in their bowl when they took a peek in it. I did inform them that we are going to try something new that night. And they loudly exclaimed,”I don’t like mushrooms, this doesn’t taste good.”, without even trying. However, they quickly changed their minds. Slurping down their noodle and broth, and asking for more. The littlest one even resorted to stealing meatballs out of her elder sister’s bowl!
So anyway… The original recipe calls for the meatballs to be shallow fried in a wok. I decided to bake them instead to reduce the amount of oil needed. If you can’t bake it because you do not have an oven, you can air-fry them. If you do not have an air-fryer, here is your chance to win one. I’m giving away a Mayer MMAF8 Air Fryer! It also comes with a baking tray for you to bake my absolutely delicious Best Moist Double Chocolate Muffins or any of my other bakes for your dessert!
- 3 servings of rice vermicelli
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 300g minced beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Ground white pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- Soy sauce to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100g Enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 2 cups sliced Chinese napa cabbage
- Some oil to grease
- Coriander to garnish
- Chilli powder (optional)
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze dry, remove stem, and slice into large slices.
- Reserve soaking liquid.
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Soak rice vermicelli in boiling water until softened.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, add beef, garlic, ginger, spring onion, 1 tbsp soy, white pepper, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, egg, and corn flour.
- Pulse until combined.
- Lightly grease baking tray with oil.
- Shape meatballs into about 1 inch size, and place on baking tray.
- Lightly spray cooking oil over meatball and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring beef broth, reserved mushroom liquid, shiitake mushroom, sugar, and soy to a boil.
- When meatball is ready, add it into the broth.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add enoki mushrooms and cabbage.
- Allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve over softened rice vermicelli.
- Garnish with coriander and chilli powder.
To take part in the giveaway, simply complete the rafflecopter below.
This giveaway ends on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. Singapore time (GMT+8). The winner will be selected by random.org and will contacted by email. The winner will need to respond within 48 hours. If there is no response from the winner after 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Meet up required for prize collection, therefore it is open to Singapore entrants only.