I wanted to bake something easy, as a treat for the girls and the husband. Banana cakes / breads have always been a winner in the Kay household. Easy to make, plus it always turns out moist, and deliciously good. Here are some of my previous banana bakes:
- Spongy Banana Cake
- Chia Seeds Banana Bread
- Banana Honey Chia Cake
- Moist Banana and Chocolate Chips Bread
- Chocolate Malt Avocado Banana Bread
- Healthy Wholemeal Banana Chocolate Bread
At first, I was thinking of making a chocolate pound cake. However, I didn’t want to use that much butter, and the ripened bananas on the counter seems to be calling out my name, begging to be used. Didn’t take much persuading to decide of making this recipe. Super moist banana bread with tonnes of melted chocolate with each bite. So so sinfully good, I tell you! And easy to make to0!
I made a double batch of ganache that day and I didn’t want it to go to waste. So I baked another batch for my helper’s cousin in a 7 inch cake tin, divided it so I got 2 layers. Iced the middle with Nutella, layered sliced bananas, then poured ganache over the cake, and garnished it with some chopped walnuts. Simple Chocolate Nutella Banana Cake done. 🙂
Triple Chocolate Banana Cake
Chocolate banana cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder I used valrhona
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp espresso powder optional
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana about 3 medium banana or 2 large
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt or plain yoghurt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- 100 g dark chocolate chopped
- 100 ml heavy cream
Chocolate banana cake
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease and flour your loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, yoghurt, bananas, egg, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients into wet, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until skewer comes out mostly clean or with few moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes before unmoulding and cool completely on wire rack.
- In a sauce pan, bring cream to a simmer.
- Then remove from heat and add chocolate.
- Allow to stand for a minute or two, then whisk until combined and smooth.
- Cool ganache completely for it to thicken before drizzling over cake.