I love baked apples. They turn into this warm, soft, and sweet gooey goodness that melts in your mouth. Whenever there’s apples, there need to be cinnamon. It should be illegal to separate the both of them. I made these lovely spiced apple muffins for the people that works hard at the foot reflexology place that I frequent.
Just before I packed them into cupcake boxes to deliver it to them, I added a little something special. I had a jar of salted caramel sauce laying around in the fridge and knew that it’d be such a great combination to these delicious muffins. So I drizzled some salted caramel on top of the crumbles before packing it.
These muffins were a hit with the masseuses! They loved the salted caramel with the sweet decadent crumbles, moist vanilla muffin, and was pleasantly surprised when they bit into the caramelised baked apples! I’m so glad that these muffins were able to put a smile on their faces. And I’m sure it would put a smile to yours or your love ones too.
Apple Crumble Muffins
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 110 g castor sugar
- 125 g butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 small green apples peeled, cored and cut into 1cm thick rings
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 60 g cold butter cut into smaller cubes
- 120 g plain flour
- 60 g castor sugar
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C, top & bottom heat.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice and cinnamon powder.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crumble, and mash together with a fork until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.Keep chilled until later.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and milk.
- Mix until just combined.
- Fill the liner about half way, then place apple rings on top of the batter.
- Press it down slightly.
- Then fill liners evenly with the rest of the batter.
- Top with prepared crumble.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Then remove muffins from pan to cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm with ice cream or serve cold with hot coffee.
2 cups (250g) plain flour + 1/2 tsp salt + 1 tbsp baking powder
Trim off the apple ring if it's too big to fit into the muffin holes. Alternatively, you can cut your apples into cubes. Adapted from craftpassion
Elaine Q2 March, 2016 at 9:30 am
Hi Sharon, Thank you for sharing. Looks so yummy! I love the crumbles on top of cake. Can mix some almond ground and oatmeal for the crumbles also.
Sharon Lam6 March, 2016 at 10:06 pm
Hi Elaine, yes of course. But you may need a little for butter for the mixture to bind. 🙂
Jen6 March, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Are there instructions on how to make the crumble in your recipe of apple crumble muffins?
Sharon Lam6 March, 2016 at 10:05 pm
Hi Jen, the instructions are in the methods stated in the recipe card. Please refer to no. 4 and 11.
Jen20 March, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Thanks for your reply Sharon :). I have tried this recipe today… Tastes good ! :). Cheers! 🙂
Sharon Lam20 March, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Thank you for the feedback!! 🙂