It was a tall sandwich, and at some point, I ate it open faced. I’d suggest serving it open faced, make a thinner middle waffle, or omit the middle waffle all together. This waffle recipe produce a crusty and denser waffle. If you prefer something lighter and more savoury, go to my Grilled Lemongrass Chicken Waffle Burger for another waffle recipe.
Waffle Club Sandwich
- 2 chicken breast sliced across to make them thinner (or you can just use shaved ham/turkey)
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for pan frying or grilling
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 eggs cooked sunny side up
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- butterhead lettuce
- 1/2 to mato sliced
- 2 tbsp mayo + 1 tbsp maple syrup + 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Buttermilk waffles recipe attached
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Season chicken with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Set aside until ready to grill.
- Lay bacon on lined baking pan, do not overlap.
- Bake for 10 mins, generously brush on maple syrup on bacon.
- Continue to bake for another 5-8 minutes until crisp.
- Grill chicken on med high heat until no longer pink. About 1-2 mins each side.
- Set aside, tent with aluminium foil to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Make your sauce by mixing together mayo, maple syrup, and mustard.
- Prepare your waffle with the recipe below.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1-1/2 cup buttermilk
- Whisk together flour, parsley, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix together buttermilk, butter, and eggs.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. Batter may still be lumpy.
- Do not over-mix or your waffle will be very tough.
- Pour about 1/4 cup into waffle pan/maker.
- And cook waffle until golden brown.
- Build your club sandwich by spreading the sauce on each layer of waffle, then layering with prepared fillings.
- Serve immediately.