This post is only to be a long one as there are 3 recipes needed to build this amazing waffle burger! The waffle burger is made of perfectly grilled juicy Lemongrass Chicken lays on a bed of Asian Slaw, and sandwiched between savory Herb and Cheese Waffles!
This was inspired by a friend who recently bought a waffle pan and shared her delicious creation, which got me itching to try making my first waffle (this one). I didn’t know how much interest I will maintain for waffle making, so I decided to buy myself a $29 waffle iron. Cheap, but good enough! There’s a little bit of inactive time needed but prep-ing and cooking it was pretty quick and easy.
When my husband asked me what are we having for dinner a night before, I told him, “Do you like waffles?”. His reply was,”For dinner? No, not really.” But I made it anyway. And on that night we were having this, this was what he said.
Husband: “Hmmm, this is something different.” *takes a bite
Husband: “I think we might be on to something here!” *takes another bite
Me: “So what do you think?”
Husband: “It’s really delicious! Ok, you’ve turned me. Do we have anymore?!”
So now the husband is a convert!
The kids were delighted to have waffles for dinner. They both had an open face burger, and requested for another serving of waffle. My 3 year old asked if I can make her waffles again the next day. I’m so glad both the husband and kids enjoyed it!! After this recipe, I went online and bought myself an good (by reviews) electric waffle iron that so happened to be on sale! 🙂
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp grated onion
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in egg and buttermilk, then mix.
- Add melted butter, parsley, and onion.
- Mix until JUST combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour into plastic container, cling wrap, and poke a hole with a toothpick.
- Leave it in the chiller for 30 mins or overnight for the baking agent to work its magic.
- When ready to cook, fold in your cheese into the batter.
- Heat waffle iron on med heat and lightly spray with oil to prevent sticking.
- When pan is hot, pour in about 1/4 cup batter. cover and allow to cook to desired colour.
- I cooked mine for 3 minutes each side.
- Gently remove waffles and place on wire rack to cool. This is an important step if you want your waffle to remain crisp and not soggy.
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 5 boneless chicken thighs (I removed the skin)
- 2 garlic, finely minced
- 3 lemongrass, ends and woody parts removed, minced
- 1-2 shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 or half chilli padi, seeded finely chopped (optional) I added in later while making the sauce so the kids' chicken isn't spicy
- Black pepper to taste
- Oil to grease pan
- Wild rocket salad
- Herb and cheese waffles
- Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
- Asian Slaw
- Prepared sauce
- Toss all the ingredients together and let it sit in the chiller for at least 30 mins.
- Add all the ingredients except oil into a large ziplock bag.
- Toss well to make sure ingredients are evenly spread out and coats chicken nicely.
- Leave in chiller to marinate for at least 30 mins to overnight.
- Take chicken out 5-10 mins before grilling.
- Lightly grease pan and turn heat up to med high.
- Grill chicken for 6-8 mins or until cooked through, flipping occasionally.
- While the chicken cooks, pour remaining marinate into a heavy bottom pan.
- Add 1/4 cup water and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and allow to reduce, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens.
- Build your waffle burger with waffle, slaw, chicken brushed with some sauce, wild rocket, and top with waffle.