You know what, it is a healthy meal! I think the only not so healthy ingredient is the fried shallot, which you can omit of course. It was so easy to eat, and such a great meal to be serving on a rainy or cold evening!
Please do not omit the step of toasting the onion and ginger. It adds more depth to the soup base. I’d even suggest toasting all the other herbs like cloves, star anise, cinnamon, coriander, and cardamom. You can put all the herbs and spices directly into the pot, wrap it up in a cheese cloth, or do what I did. I both those little herb / tea bags and place all the spices in it so it’s easier for me to fish it out later. Serve it with rice vermicelli or rice noodle if you like something more substantial. I poured some of the prepared broth over the chicken to keep it moist while I cook the noodles.
In a lightly greased pan, toast onion and ginger until charred on both sides.
Ginger should be softened.
Meanwhile place all the spices into a herb baggie or tie it up in a cheese cloth.
Slice the ginger into thin pieces and place it in a pot together with the spices and charred onion. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Season with fish sauce and sugar To taste. Then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 mins. You may want to blanch your chicken during this time.
- 2 small chicken breast
- 1 unpeeled yellow onion quartered
- 2 inch unpeeled old ginger sliced in half length-wise
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 2 tsp sugar adjust to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- 1.5 L 6.5cups chicken stock (preferably low-sodium)
- 1 cup bean sprouts to garnish
- Lime wedges to garnish
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Fried shallot to garnish
- Sliced red chilli to garnish.
- 4 servings of rice vermicelli / rice noodle
- In a lightly greased pan, toast onion and ginger until charred on both sides.
- Ginger should be softened.
- Remove and set aside.
- Toast all the cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and coriander seeds in the same greased pan for a minute.
- Then place all the spices into a herb baggie or tie it up in a cheese cloth.
- Slice the ginger into thin pieces and place it in a pot together with the spices and charred onion.
- Add chicken stock, and chicken, then bring to boil.
- Season with fish sauce and sugar to taste.
- Then lower heat to med-low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 mins.
- Remove chicken and shred or slice.
- Place prepared chicken slices in a bowl and scoop some broth over to keep it moist.
- Prepare vermicelli / rice sticks as per package instructions.
- Serve broth over noodles, chicken, and sprouts.
- Garnish with basil, mint, fried shallots, red chilli, cilantro, and a side of lime wedge.