I made a very similar version (Singapore Chilli Crab Cream Pasta) of this pasta before. It was an easier, lesser prep recipe, and I used heavy cream for the sauce. In my previous recipe, I used frozen crab meat and added it to the sauce. It was delicious, but I kind of felt like I would like to have chunkier pieces of meat. I wanted to re-create that dish again.
So one day, during my weekly supermarket runs to my nearest Fairprice Finest, I walked down the frozen aisle at the supermarket, and saw frozen packets of chunky raw crab leg meat for sale. Needless to say, I immediately put a pack of it in my shopping cart. Why not fresh crab you ask? Simple, I’m lazy! I like crab but I do not fancy cleaning them or taking the meat out of the shell.
However, when I was ready to prepare my dish, I thought of my husband & kids and wanted to make this into a fusion-ish meal, where the kids can still enjoy the crab without the spicy chilli sauce. That was how crab cakes came to mind. This was a win-win game plan! I served mine with a side of sour cream to neutralise the heat, something that I highly recommend. 🙂
Have you taken part in the current Mayer Airfryer GIVEAWAY? Details below.
Heat a clean pan on med high with 2 tbsp of oil.
Cook the chilled crab cakes.
Allow it to cook for 2-3 mins or until golden brown on one side before flipping to cook the other.
Try not to move it around and risk breaking it.
- 1 pack of thawed raw crab meat, 400g
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Copped parsley for garnishing
- 4 shallots*
- 5 gloves garlic*
- 1.5 inch thumb of ginger*
- 2 stalks lemongrass, inner ends only*
- 4-6 chilli padi, seeds removed*
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp belacan chilli
- 1-1.5 cups chicken stock
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp canola or peanut oil
- 4 servings of cooked spaghetti
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Cook the crab meat.
- Shred cooked crab meat into large mixing bowl together with all the other ingredients.
- Mix to combine then shape into 2 inches patties.
- Keep in fridge to chill.
- Make paste for sauce.
- In the food processor, add shallots, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and chilli padi.
- Pulse until combined. you will have to scrap down the sides a couple of times.
- Take the paste out and set aside.
- Add the belacan chilli to the paste and lets make the sauce!
- Heat pan on med high heat with 2 tbsp of oil.
- When pan is hot, add in the chilli paste.
- Saute until fragrant.
- Add your chicken stock and ketchup.
- Stir to combine and bring to boil.
- Lower heat to med.
- Add sugar, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Add in the lightly beaten eggs and keep stirring with your spatula.
- The eggs help to bind and thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat.
- And start cooking your pasta.
- Heat a clean pan on med high with 2 tbsp of oil.
- Cook the chilled crab cakes.
- Allow it to cook for 2-3 mins or until golden brown on one side before flipping to cook the other.
- Try not to move it around and risk breaking it.
- When it is done, set it aside.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to the pot.
- Then add 3/4 cups of sauce to toss.
- Plate it and garnish with some chopped parsley.
- Serve with an optional dollop of sour cream.
- Soak frozen crab in milk for 20 minutes to remove fishy smell.
- 2 servings of pasta needs about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sauce.
- I usually make extra sauce to freeze for quick future meal
This giveaway ends on Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. Singapore time (GMT+8). The winner will be selected by random.org and will contacted by email. The winner will need to respond within 48 hours. If there is no response from the winner after 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Meet up required for prize collection, therefore it is open to Singapore entrants only.