This recipe works great with chicken as well. The pulled pork only requires 3 ingredients, and you can practically make it with your eyes closed! I made the coleslaw a day ahead so the flavours had time to come together. Brought it to a pot luck pool get-together with some lovely families in our estate, and it was really well received!
The coleslaw is a winner, it does taste very similar to the KFC version. This is my go-to recipe every time I make coleslaw, this time I only made half the recipe as it was used as a slider topping instead of a side dish. I also chose to shred my cabbage and carrot instead of chop them up into smaller pieces because I prefer this texture, and I was lazy. LOL! Use a food processor to help speed things up! 🙂
BBQ Pulled Pork with KFC Coleslaw
BBQ Pulled Pork
- 750-800 g pork shoulders / chicken breast&thighs
- 500 ml Root Beer I used A&W
- Bottle of your favourite BBQ sauce I used Hunt's
- 16 pieces of mini slider buns or 8 regular burger buns
KFC Copy Cat Coleslaw
- 8 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 med carrot shredded
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 buttermilk 1/4 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar
- 2-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
BBQ Pulled Pork
- Add the meat and root beer in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 2.5 hours until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from liquid, and shred with fork.
- Mix BBQ sauce into shredded meat.
- Add all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- Mix all the ingredients together until will combined.
- Transfer into an air tight container, and chill for at least 4 hours.
Adapted from Top Secret Recipe
Zoe11 March, 2015 at 2:18 am
There is only 3 ingredients to make these pulled pork… Sound very easy. With root beer, it sounds so yummy. I love to try the chicken version 😀
Amanda25 April, 2016 at 8:08 am
If i do not have a slow cooker, what method would u recommend as an alternative? I ‘d love to try this at home but i ain’t got a slow cooker 🙂
Sharon Lam25 April, 2016 at 8:21 am
Hi, you can always cook it on your stove top, let it simmer on a low heat for about 2 hours or until tender. 🙂
Ching9 September, 2016 at 8:42 am
Hi! How long do you think the coleslaw will last? My frd made it once following ur recipe and i am hooked!
Sharon Lam9 September, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Hi Ching, glad you liked it! It’s a family favourite too. 🙂 It’s best consumed within 3-4 days.