The night before baking, I asked my girls if they would like to make some muffins for breakfast. The both of them jumped in joy, randomly shouting out the muffins they’d like to make. “Apple muffins! Chocolate muffins! Banana muffins! Yummy muffins!”, they were so excited. So we had a short discussion before deciding on banana muffins, and of course with some chocolate in it. I suggested Nutella. This is going to be the first time that they are introduced to that jar of sinful deliciousness.
Yeah, we have been pretty strict about the girls’ diet. But we also believe in everything in moderation. The girls have to earn their own muffins by making it themselves. With some help from mummy, of course. My eldest, Melody helped with measuring the ingredients, mashing the bananas, and whisking the dry ingredients. Peighton lined the muffin tins, and helped with mixing the wet ingredients. They both took turns to mix in the wet and dry ingredients. And while I wasn’t looking, they sneakily popped a few peanut butter chips in their mouth.
It was a learning experience not just for the girls but also for myself. I had to learn to let go, and not be such a perfectionist about flour flying all over the place, and not exact measurements. I had to tell myself that each swirl that the girls created is uniquely beautiful on its own. It was an experience where I had to focus on the present, and allow myself to take in the positive energy exuded by the girls, rather than focusing on the should haves. I’m thankful for this experience, and grateful for the smiles and joy on the girls faces. They were truly mindful, and being in the moment. I’ve got so much to learn from them.
Oops! This post sort of took a turn to be a reflective piece! Oh well, the muffin turned out awesome by the way! They were soft, fluffy, and makes the perfect little snack! If you have not tried baking with your kids, you should. It’s a great bonding experience, but be prepared to make a mess, and just have fun. 🙂
Banana Peanut Butter Muffins with Nutella Swirls
- 1 1/2 192g cup plain flour
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup 67g castor sugar
- 1/3 cup 73g packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg grade aa, 65g, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup 80ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp 5g baking powder
- 1 tsp 7g baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 100g peanut butter chips
- 1/4 cup 60g nutella
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Heat nutella in microwave for 10 seconds blast until nutella is runny.
- Don't burn it!
- Mash bananas and mix in sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and peanut butter chips.
- Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined but still lumpy.
- Fill liners to 3/4 full, then spoon about a teaspoon of nutella on top of each muffin cup.
- Using a skewer or back of knife, create swirls.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to baking rack to cool completely.